St. Johnís Shelter was established in 1985 by St. Johnís Lutheran Church to provide emergency shelter for homeless women with children. In 1988, St. Johnís Shelter became a public charity, and incorporated as a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization. The Shelter moved out of the church fellowship hall and joined the Loaves and Fishes complex. At Loaves and Fishes, the Shelter was able to provide space for 40 women and children for up to 30 days, with the clients having to leave the shelter during day time hours.
In 2004, St. Johnís moved to a larger facility and is now able to provide daily 24-hour comprehensive services to homeless women and children for up to 90 days. Services include mental health counseling, drug and alcohol recovery programs, employment services, housing services, parenting classes, financial management classes and self-development classes. At its new location, St. Johnís has implemented a Childrenís Program to specifically address the effects of homelessness on children. The Childrenís Program offers and after-school program, as well as targeted, one-on-one tutoring services to every child. The Program ensures that every school age child is placed in school and that he or she has an individualized learning program to assist them in their schooling.
Contact St. John's Shelter Program at (916) 453-1482.